Validation and adaptation

The addition of Ceuta to the Crown of Castile was not easy but the persistence of natives and neighbours helped to negotiate the maintenance of all its institutions, fuero and privileges.

In 1668, the Treaty of Peace and Friendship between Spain and Portugal recognized Ceuta as part of Spain, thus allowing for the Holy See to be a diocese of Ceuta again, independent from the diocese of Portuguese in North African territories and appointing a Spanish bishop.

Since 1677 local documents were written in Castilian and from the Siege of Moulay Ismail, imposed in 1694, the garrison was strengthened, and as a result, increased the number of families of Spanish origin. A new born Ceuta was contemporary of the Sharifian Empire which unified Moulay Ismail from 1672.

INSTITUTO DE ESTUDIOS CEUTÍES

Paseo del Revellín nº 30

Apartado de Correos nº 593

51080 CEUTA

Tel.: 956 51 00 17 / Fax: 956 51 08 10 / Email: iec@ieceuties.org

 

AVISO LEGAL

POLÍTICA DE COOKIES